Programa Pro Niños Incapacitados supports about 160 children who live in and around Ajijic, Chapala and Jocotepec

08-Incapacitados

Niños Incapacitados was the first project outside of San Miguel sponsored by Amistad Canada, and was chosen based on the organization's sterling community reputation.

Programa Pro Niños Incapacitados del Lago A.C. is a non-profit, all-volunteer organization that provides counseling and financial support to poor Mexican families in the Lake Chapala area of Jalisco who have children with serious disabilities or life-threatening illnesses.

It began in 1974 as an effort to help one family and now supports about 160 children who live in and around the lakeside communities of Ajijic, Chapala and Jocotepec.

Niños Incapacitados was the first project outside of San Miguel sponsored by Amistad Canada, and was chosen based on the organization's sterling community reputation. The project significantly advanced its work to build civil society relationships between Canada and Mexico.

In 2017 Niños Incapacitados distributed 3,264,744 pesos to children's families. Of that amount, 1,884,678 pesos – approximately $130,000 CDN – was raised through Amistad Canada.

Niños Incapacitados operates regular ‘clinics’ in all three communities where volunteer coordinators provide counselling and verify that families qualify for reimbursement of costs directly related to their child’s medical, diagnostic and treatment needs. Amounts range from just a few pesos for bus fare, to hundreds, even thousands, of dollars for specialized medical treatment or pharmaceuticals.

96% of funds raised is spent on client services. The remaining 4% is used for administration, particularly rigorous financial controls, to ensure the funds are distributed according to the organization's charter.

To support this program, click on How To Donate.