Ópera de San Miguel
Ópera de San Miguel is dedicated to identifying and encouraging the most talented and promising young opera singers in Mexico.
Ópera de San Miguel (OSM) is a registered Mexican non-profit associación civi l dedicated to identifying and supporting Mexico’s most talented and promising young opera singers and, in the process, enriching the musical life of San Miguel de Allende. It awards scholarships, professional grants, and performing opportunities through the annual Concurso San Miguel, established in 2008.
In San Miguel, the Mexico-Canada Co-OPERA-tive Concert kicks off the OSM season every year in late January.
Amistad Canada’s support of OSM is part of our overall commitment to enhancing educational opportunities by providing publicly available scholarships, bursaries, and other forms of financial assistance to students in Mexico.
OSM has developed a close relationship with the Les Jeunes Ambassadeurs Lyriques in Montreal. Each year, winners of the two competitions perform joint concerts both there and in San Miguel.
In Montreal, the Mexican singers audition for international opera company directors and have the opportunity to receive invitations for future engagements.
In San Miguel, the Mexico-Canada Co-OPERA-tive Concert kick’s off the OSM season every year in late January.
Also, several attractive prizes have been sponsored in recent years by our Canadian “Angels of OSM.” They are:
- The Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity Prize (full scholarship to attend the summer opera program in the Canadian Rockies of Alberta)
- The Highlands Opera Studio Prize (full scholarship to attend the HOS summer program in Ontario)
- The St. Eustache Festival Prize (engagement to sing at the Festival Opéra de St. Eustache, Québec)
- The Marmande Festival Prize (direct pass to the semi-finals of the Concours International de Chant de Marmande, France, during the Nuits Lyriques Summer Festival)
- The Conservatori Liceu Prize (transportation, room & board to attend the Master’s in Opera program in Barcelona, Spain, sponsored by Canadian donors. Full scholarship provided by the Conservatori Liceu)
OSM Concurso competitors are chosen through a meticulous process of applications and national auditions. The ten singers who are selected come to San Miguel for a week of an intensive series of music, drama and language master classes, and career counselling sessions, all conducted by an eminent panel of internationally recognized opera experts and judges. Their experience culminates in a usually sold-out concert at the historic Teatro Angela Peralta, where the winners are announced.
As of 2017, the runner-up wins the Amistad Canada Second Prize, which helps the recipient further his or her education. The 2020 winner of this prize was offered a full scholarship to attend the prestigious Academy of Vocal Arts program, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In addition to scholarships and grants, Concurso winners benefit from OSM-organized performances along with further auditions in Mexico, the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia.